Client Name: Crossroads School Santa Monica
Size: 13,000 SF
Location: 1714 21st Street, Santa Monica CA 90404
Year Completed/Project Status: 2019 – 7-month construction duration
Construction Value: $3.3 million
Scope of Work: General Contractor
Repositioning a Warehouse Into a Flexible K-12 Educational Space
Crossroads School, a K-12 private school located on an unconventional urban infill campus in Santa Monica, engaged DDB to transform an adjacent 13,000-square-foot warehouse into a new creative space for arts, science and athletics. Leveraging our extensive expertise in designing and building next-generation educational environments, DDB worked closely with the school and the architecture team to bring their vision to life through a safety- and efficiency-focused construction process that minimized disruption to operations.
Key Project Details:
- Overcame timing challenges with the City Planning Department and the addition of a number of project elements during construction to deliver an exceptionally high quality space to open in time for the start of the 2019 school year.
- Repurposed the 13,000-square-foot warehouse into a flexible and creative academic space with minimal impact to school operations.
- Successfully delivered all aspects of the program including a new ceramics studio with expansive glass roll-up doors and kiln yard, a darkroom, computer labs, music classrooms with acoustic wall and ceiling tiles, multipurpose rooms with moveable desks, and athletics and physical education spaces featuring rubber flooring, batting cages, and a weight room with a state-of-the-art audio visual system.
- Renovated the existing double bow-truss structure including adding large skylights and seismic strengthening.
- Incorporated biophilic materials such as rotary cut douglas fir plywood walls and full-height translucent polygal walls to create a naturally lit environment.
Project Partners: Crossroads School, LOC Architects, Miyamoto International (Structural Engineers), GMEP (MEP Engineers), KPFF (Civil Engineers)